Date Updated: 11/29/2007
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 16 by Broderbund. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4815&itemType=CATEGORY
A typing tutor program.
Will not launch more than once in a multi-user environment.
To perform the steps outlined below, you will need to be logged in as a Power User or an Administrator and be using Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Media Center Edition. This is a 3 part solution. First, set the shortcut for Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 16 to always run the program in Windows 98/ME Compatibility mode. Second, the screen resolution must be set to 800x600 for Mavis Beacon to launch. Third, the user group that will be using Mavis Beacon must be allowed full control over the system.msy file within the Mavis Beacon application data folder.
To set the shortcut to run Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 16 in Windows98/ME Compatibility mode, please do the following.
- Select the Desktop shortcut or Start Menu shortcut for Mavis Beacon 16, right-click on the icon, and select "Properties."
- In the "Properties" dialogue, select the "Compatibility" tab.
- Under the "Compatibility mode" section, check the checkbox next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
- Select "Windows 98 / Windows Me" in the dropdown box.
To set the screen resolution to 800x600, please do the following.
Note: Systems running our L-series devices do not need to do this step, as they will automatically adjust to 800x600 resolution.
- Open the NComputing Remote Management Console by double-clicking the icon in the system tray.
- Go to Local Settings gt; Information and Settings gt; System settings
- Double click the item named "X300 card video mode setting" and in the window that appears, click the dropdown menu and choose 800x600, 16bit. Click Ok
- Reboot the PC
To set permissions to allow the user group that will be using Mavis Beacon full control over the system.msy file, please do the following.
- Open My Computer
- In the Tools menu, select Folder Options and in the properties window that appears, select the View tab.
- If the "Do not show hidden files and folders" option is selected, change it to "Show hidden files and folders". Also, if the "Use simple file sharing" option is selected, unselect it. Click Apply, then click the button near the top of the window that says "Apply to all folders". Click Ok.
- Navigate to C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataBroderbundMavis Beacon Teaches Typing 16
- Right-click the file "System.msy" and select Properties.
- Click on the 'Security" tab.
- Select in the list the name of the user group that will be using Mavis Beacon (usually the group "Users").
- Under the section labeled "Permissions", check the "Full Control" box.
- Click Apply